Steps for a Passport Renewal Application
Take an advantage to file renewal applications by mail. It is the most appropriate way for you if you meet specific points.
- First of all you should demonstrate that your passport is in a good condition. In case, it is damaged you need to apply for a new one.
- Furthermore, it must be issued to you no more than 15 years ago from the current date.
- And one of the most important circumstances is that you obtained a passport at the age of 16 and not earlier.
- It is necessary to provide your real name or submit an additional documentation to confirm your name change.
Once you find that you are eligible to undergo such a procedure, start filling out form DS-82.
You may print the paper and write in all the information by hand. In this case you will need a pen with black ink. Or you may download form DS-82 and type out the required details.
- Choose the type of passport you need. It may be a passport book, card or both of them. While applying for a passport book mention if you want a standard one (28-page) or for frequent travelers (52-page).
- Insert your personal data including your last, first and middle names, date of birth, gender, city and state of your birth. Provide only truthful details and be sure to complete all the fields.
- Write in your full Social Security number and email address. Also, point out your phone number.
- Enter additional info connected with your residence address, type out your city name and zip code. Mention the name of your country if your mailing address is outside the United States.
- Write your passport number and date it was issued to you.
- Put a signature and the date of preparing the Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82. Enter your name and date of birth ones more.
- The lines at the second page are intended for your height, eye and hair color and address. It is also required to write your workplace or school.
- Don’t forget to enter the name, address and phone number of a person to contact with in case of emergency.
- Mention your travel plans, especially when you apply for expedite document.
It is possible to attach additional pages to the Form DS-82.
After the file completion check all the information to clarify the details and avoid mistakes. Thereafter, send the form to an addressee. It is also possible to print a document to have it on hand.
The processing of the Passport Renewal Application may take up to six months. Nevertheless, as it was mentioned before you may speed up the procedure if you are going abroad in the next 14 or 30 days and you need a visa. To confirm that print one copy of the travel itinerary from a travel agency.